Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wisdom teeth and a toddler

I've needed to get my wisdom teeth out for awhile. I mean they have been talking about it since my senior year of high school... but obviously when I got pregnant it had to be put off. With school and a baby I just kind of put it on the backburner. They weren't bothering me at all but I noticed my teeth starting to move so I decided I might as well do it now.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I got them out not even 2 weeks into the school quarter, with a kid going through the terrible 2's. How did I not think this through?

I like to get things over with. I went for my consultation a few weeks ago and just told them I wanted them out ASAP. So they set the date for April 8th, at 8:30 am.

I let Ryan know a few weeks in advance. He was going to have to take Aden and find a sitter while he was at class on Friday. His mom and grandma watched Aden 7:30am- 5pm and Ryan picked him up and had him until Sunday at noon.

Okay rewind to Friday morning at 6:30am. The one morning Aden decides not to wake up at 6:30. I set my alarm and started packing his things for his stay at Ryans- Again, don't ask me why I didn't pack the night before. I seriously dropped the ball on that one.

We got out the door on time and made it to my 830 appointment. After the nurse ran into the door, hit her head on the light, and dropped part of the IV equipment, I started getting a little nervous. I mean seriously- you work in that office every day, you're about to put me to sleep, and you ran into an overhead light. Things are looking good.

The doctor put my iv in (THANK GOD) and I have got to give him props on that. It was quick and painless and he didn't poke around like my nurses Kitty and Candy at OSU. I remember my throat burning and I remember him saying "this is pretty fast acting...." and then I was out.

The nurse was not impressed with my knowledge of Diazepam and Ketamine (the drugs laying next to me), which totally disappointed me. I was really looking forward to discussing the off-setting effects from the balanced anesthesia. I think she just thought I wanted to be like her. I HAVE SCRUBS TOO MA'AM. I OWN A STETHOSCOPE.

I'm not going to lie I have not felt that refreshed for a LONG time. I woke up with gauze in my mouth and my mom next to me. I don't know how I got into a different room, but I did. I may have walked? I'm pretty sure they don't just sling you over their shoulder and lay you down in a room. I asked my mom for my phone and was typing how I felt. She was convinced I wouldn't remember, but I did. I even typed incoherent. Correctly.

My body isn't used to sleeping a lot, so I only napped for about an hour. I wasn't actually that swollen, just on the right bottom side. (Both bottom teeth were impacted. My mom heard a chisel.) I took the gauze out a few hours later but refused to take any medicine. I even straightened my hair and did make up and went to Polaris with my mom.
Right after I took the gauze out

Friday night- still med-free - I went to Mongolian bbq with Daryn and Kayla. I had a few bites of eggroll, soup, a virgin strawberry daiquiri, and cheesecake. I'm pretty sure the waitress felt bad for me because she kept taking things off of my bill. Then we had a movie night. I got home at about 11:30 and took two advil.

After one of my baths before I went to eat with Daryn and Kayla

Saturday morning I was a little more swollen, still mostly on the right side, but I was still feeling okay. It wasn't actually my mouth that hurt, it was my muscles. Random muscles. Like, my back and my arms and my neck. I took a toradol, which is basically like a stronger version of advil.. an NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug- thank you anesthesia) and I felt great. I went to Panera, got soup, went shopping, and then went tanning. (P.S. I'm sorry for whoever was in the tanning bed next to me. It hurt to open the bed so I just let out a big moan and flailed around a little. Didn't mean to disturb you) I got home at 330, took another toradol and took an hour nap. When I woke up... I literally looked exactly like John Goodman. The swelling had gotten worse on both sides and I was definitely starting to feel it. It was Charla Rae's birthday dinner at 5:30 so I got dressed and went. I left right after I ate, I really did too much that day. I took a bath, took an advil, and went to bed.

I bet you thought I was kidding about that John Goodman comment. I wasn't.

Today I woke up and still looked liked John Goodman. I took another bath (don't ask me why but they made me feel 10,000 times better. I think I took like 20 over the course of two days). I told Ryan I would just come get AJ because I missed him a lot and I knew Ryan wanted to go golfing. Aden really didnt react when he saw me... that was nice.

We went to Panera for lunch (their mac n cheese is what i've been living off of) and Aden ate half a bowl of soup, mac n cheese, yogurt, chips, and graham crackers. It was after he inhaled all of his food that he realized that his moms face looked really f-ed up. He looked at me confused for awhile, but eventually got used to the fatness.
Aden and I relaxing before bed.

We spent the rest of the day outside- 80 degrees!!! And then took a bath and I read 7 books. He was realllly worked up so I turned on our "faith, hope, and lullabies" CD and rocked him. I missed him.

I'm feeling pretty good right now!! I'm definitely getting a big bruise on the right side of my chin, but it'll get better. I'm proud of myself for just getting it over with. Hopefully I don't have to go through any more medical procedures for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment